First & foremost, let’s begin with What is Marketing ?
– It is Science & Art of exploring, creating and delivering value to satisfy the needs of a target market at a profit.
Marketing identifies unfullfiled needs and desires.. It defines, measures and quantifies the size of the identified target market and the target potential. It pinpoints which segments the company is capable of serving best and it designs and promotes the appropriate products and services.
e.g. mobile phone or mobile repairs & maintainence as a product and service respectively.
Before the advent of internet (pre 1983), i.e Marketing used to happen in traditional way wherein the delivery part of marketing a product or service were done via Advertisement thru traditional channels like Print Media(newspaper & magazines etc), TVMedia (Doordarshan), Radio, PR, Hoardings, billboards etc.
Post widespread use of Internet by users (public) the delivery part of marketing a product or service started in big way with digital channels/ medium/ platforms such as Social Media, Mobile Applications, Email, Web Applications, Search Engines, Websites, Blogs, Vlogs, Instant Messaging etc.
Now, it will be correct to say that there is nothing called digital marketing or social media marketing. It is like saying in pre 1990 days TV marketing or Newspaper marketing or magazine marketing or radio marketing.
Have anyone heard such terms earlier? NO. Hence there’s no such thing as digital marketing, there is just marketing, which has digital components.
The right term is Marketing in Digital World ( or Channels).
What comes under Digital Channels/Medium/Platforms
- Social Media – Instagram, FB, Linkedin, Pinterest etc….
- Mobile – Display ads, Video Ads, Moile app., SMS etc.
- Email – Emailers
- Web Applications – online forms, shopping carts, word processors, spreadsheets, video and photo editing, file conversion, file scanning and email programs such as Gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc.
- Search Engine – Search Engine Optimation (SEO), Search Engine Marketing (SEM), Pay-Per-Click advertising (PPC) etc.
- Instant Messaging – FB messenger, Whatsapp, Telegram, Google Chat/ Talk , Skype etc.
- Websites – Static or dynamic , responsive etc.
- Blogs – Informational website on World Wide Web in text.
- Vlogs- Informational website on World Wide Web in video.
- Digital Ads – Text Ads, Display Ads & Video Ads.
- Portals – e-Commerce ( Amazon, FlipKart), Web-Portal etc
- Video platforms – Youtube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Tick-tock etc.
And many more like convergence of technology, Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Data Science, Blockchain, Analytics, 3D printing etc.and with 5G technology coming in future, the game has just begun..
Further, any usage of digital components is driven by the Marketing Strategy & Marketing Mix i.e. 4Ps of Marketing
1st P – Product or Service
2nd P – Price (of the Product or Service)
3rd P – Place (Availability of Product or Service – physical store and /or online)
4th P – Promotions (Ads.-text/video, Digital/Online / Off-line etc)One simple way to not get confused is to understand the difference between ACTIVITY and TOOLS.
Marketing ( exploring, creating and delivering value, 4Ps etc.) is an ACTIVITY in itself and whereas Digital, Online / Offline Channels/ Medium/Platforms are TOOLS to help perform the activity.
To get any ACTIVITY done we use the right TOOLS.